Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Settling In

Last week we got out to the shooting range to hang out with Soldiers before and after they practiced on 240 and 249 machine guns.  One told me he had attended a marriage retreat the previous year, and their marriage was better for a while, but they are now stuck in a rut again.  He said he was thinking of coming to see me.  That scenario is a big part of my hopes for Chaplaincy, and it was exciting to hear him voice that. 

I have met with a number of Soldiers already, I thought it would take longer, and I shouldn't flatter myself that I'm so approachable, etc.  Truth is, there are many with huge problems, and sometimes I have to nod understandably while being really surprised inside. 

I need to learn and practice how to ask permission for sharing, and verbalizing my faith in that setting. And I need to learn the public settings, and how to go about being more of an explicitly Christian Chaplain.  God, grant those opportunities, and grant me courage to take them.  Grant sensitivity to your Holy Spirit to feel your opening up opportunities.  Bless my Chaplain Assistant, and help me to lead and direct her.  Help us with the last 10% of moving in which is always so hard to finish, and may be fully utilize our beautiful home for hospitality, love and the furtherance of your kingdom.

No comments: