Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ready to Ramp Up

Thus far I have only had a chance to interact with Soldiers on superficial levels, which has still been enjoyable:  Asking them about vehicle maintenance, sighting guns, walking around meeting them, playing volleyball... But I have heard a story from another Chaplain about a couple that wanted to restore their marriage, and his sharing with them the foundation for marriage in Scripture, the effect of the fall on marriage, and how a right relationship with God through Christ is the ultimate solution to moving toward healthy relationships.  I look forward to getting to know Soldiers well enough for them to trust me and come to me for such help.  This week starts my first real week of work, with normal schedule, everyone back from leave, regular weekly staff meetings, and regular training schedules for the troops, where I will get out even more, find out where the Soldiers are, and go to be with them in their work.  Sometimes I can feel like a third wheel, but I'm reminded from training that my very presence can be an encuragement to Soldiers who are discouraged, tired, or cold.

We move into our home this week, bringing our large shipment of household goods up from Florida thanks to professional movers, and a small shipment out of local storage, thanks to new friends yet to be asked.  We are encouaged, settling in, getting to know the base and our way around, finding the skate park, hosting my mother for a couple days' visit, and enjoying visiting local churches.  God is good for giving us such a long break emotionally and relationally and vocationally during this transition.  I know that things at work will pick up significantly this week and beyond, and I feel well rested and ready for the challenge.

No comments: