Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"Let him do what is good in his eyes."

"He is the Lord, let him do what is good in his eyes."  This is what Eli said to Samuel upon the news that his sons would be judged and his line would end.  Praise God that my lost cell phone was turned in today.  I don't know the circumstances yet, but I'm thrilled to have it back.  In the grand scheme of things, this is a very small detail and a minor nuisance.  And yet in the moment, it is a big headache, and a temporary crisis.  I don't know why God allowed that to happen.  Maybe it was so that I, in brokenness, could remind my kids that I am forgetful, it is in my blood, and unfortunately it is in theirs too.  And that when I scold them about putting things away in the right place, and not setting things down in random places, it is out of a recognition of my own sin, and it is something they will also have to work on. 

Sometimes it is issues much bigger than a lost phone, in this case, the loss of children, where we are challenged and called to say, "Let him do what is right in his own eyes."   Outside of Christ, such losses are sheer terror.  Yet hidden in him, we can trust that what he deems good is also for our good.

Praise God for more and more opportunities to interact with Soldiers, that most recognize me as Chaplain, that some are coming by asking for prayer, that I have been invited to pray for a unit before their jump tomorrow.  God, give me the strength, courage, and the opportunities, to be distinctly Christian Chaplain, not just a Chaplain, and not just another really nice guy.  

No comments: