Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I performed my first wedding this past weekend. Somehow the entire extended family knew it was my first and didn’t tire of reminding me of that fact leading up to the ceremony. But at the rehearsal dinner, I asked the father of the bride what it was like to give a daughter away, as I have two. I was looking for some deep wisdom, and somehow his only words were, "start saving your money." Somehow I wanted more than that.

I suppose some dread those days because college and weddings can be so expensive. Maybe even more dread those days because little girls can be so cute and innocent; grandparents say, “Now you stop growing, ok? Don’t get any taller!”

I believe the answer to this frustration is not the futile wish that they would stop growing, but in the vision of seeing them as already grown up. When I look at them, I say to myself (and pray to God): “This child is going to be an adult very, very soon, Lord willing. And either they will be taking care of me as a childlike elderly man, or I will be long gone from this world.

What wisdom, skills and abilities do they need to develop and hone now, to prepare them for those days? What sin patterns do they need to be aware of and work on overcoming?

God, I pray that my sons would be mighty warriors for your kingdom. By your grace, help me to equip and prepare them as such. Father, I pray that my girls would be faithful women, able to teach and equip younger women; that they would be godly wives, that they would raise faithful children of their own who would in turn be used to expand your name, your glory, and your kingdom. And I pray that generations of faithfulness would come from them, until Christ returns.

No comments: