Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Very Loud Voices

Continuing from my last entry, 2 Chronicles 20 has some amazing insights for our prayer and worship lives. King Jehoshaphat is being surrounded by his enemies. In v. 15 a prophet tells him, “Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the battle is not yours but God’s.” The phrase “do not be afraid” is repeated over and over again in Scripture, probably because we are so likely to be just that. But if you are a Christian, the battle is not yours, but God’s. He will deliver us ultimately because he is a warrior God who fights for his people (Ex 15:3), he has in store vengeance for his enemies and comfort for his people (Is 61:2), and restores all things for those who trust in him (Acts 3:21).

Amazingly, Jehoshaphat and the people believed God’s message and fall down in worship (v. 18). Often, I wish I were more physically expressive in life. My truncated or suppressed emotions may allow me to timidly raise a hand in the back of the church from time to time (Ps 28:2; 1 Tim 2:8). But this passage reminds us is that lifting hands to God is not the only right posture of worship (in heart or hand). Here God’s people are bowing down low to a powerful, mighty, sovereign, and holy God. Lord, may I be so overwhelmed by your goodness and grace toward me that I freely express that gratitude toward you. And may I also be in such awe of the majesty of your holiness that I would bow down low to you in humble submission, reverence, and wonder.

Finally, the people praised God with a “very loud voice” (v. 19). Often worship arguments center on style and instrumentation. My personal belief is that many kinds of styles are beautiful when they accompany very loud voices (in spirit and truth, with reverence and joy). I enjoy very much the contemporary band and instrumentation at our church (a visiting friend recently asked, “Have they put out a CD?”). But also one of the best worship experiences I have had was a room of 200 men, with very loud voices, accompanied by nothing but a piano.

Father, may we be so in love with you that not only would worship wars fade away, but also the self-consciousness of our voices being heard by others. And may we shout out your praise with joy overflowing from our hearts.

No comments: