Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Third Wheel

Last week I had a surreal moment, finding myself laying down in a field at night in the middle of nowhere, Ft Bragg.  I had visited a company 'in the field,' spending a day and night with them during their training exercises.  One chaplain had lamented to me some months ago that he often feels like a third wheel when with his Soldiers, not being able to do everything they are doing, often just standing around.  I can relate, as I had stood around my Soldiers for a few hours while they waited and took turns firing their pistols at targets. 

But I also have been told, that it is often simply the Chaplain's presence, especially when they are dirty, or cold, or away from home, that gives them encouragement.   That was the case this day and night, as many Soldiers, especially officers communicated to me they appreciated me being there, and that no former chaplain had ever come out like that over night.  Knowing this is true, I seek to embrace being a Third Wheel, trusting that it will bring about good, and opportunities to develop relationships over time as Soldiers grow in their trust of me.

During a period of down time that night, I took a walk, and just rested in a field, stared up at the stars, and recounted Ps 19--"The heavens declare the glory of God..."

Thank you God, for your beauty, as expresses so clearly through creation.  Thank you for the opportunity to counsel a number of Soldiers last week.  Thank you for the chance to debrief with a group who had responded to a traumatic incident

Thank you for the answer to prayer, in the chance to communicate the gospel to someone who thought Christianity was all about being good.  Thank you that it is first and foremost about Jesus being good for us, and on our behalf!  Please give me more opportunities to be an explicitly Christian Chaplain.  Please help me continue to overcome my fear of man.  Please grant me opportunities to assist, and advise my command team, building a relationship with them as well.

No comments: