Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Something absolutely terrible happens to pastors as they begin to lead a church. It is not intentional or conscious, but it happens in the most subtle way. We forget that what Jesus said to Peter and Andrews also applies to us: “Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” We somehow forget that the Great Commission doesn’t just mean make the disciples better disciples, but make new disciples.

I was reminded of this recently when a mother and son set up an appointment to meet with me because of some problems they were having. They were not in the church, and they were clearly not Christians. I have to confess, my first thought was, “I don’t have time for this,” and, “This is a distraction.” After all, I have a sermon to prepare, I have a staff meeting to go to. I have a blog to write.

Thankfully, as they walked in I woke up. God, this is not a distraction. This is exactly what I am called to do. It ought to be my chief delight to listen to people’s problems and have the privilege of sharing the gospel.

God, give me a passion for the lost. May I always have some outlet, some area of my life where I have the opportunity to talk with, and listen to, others with different beliefs. And may I not shrink back from sharing with them the love of Christ. And God, may my church not only encourage me to do so, but join me in it as well!

No comments: