Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sometimes I despair at the indwelling sin in Christians’ lives which seems so firmly anchored that nothing could dislodge it. It is helpful to hear Driscoll say, “We ought not be surprised when sinners sin;” but are we not also saints? Does God not promise to perfect those who are being made holy? Yes, with God all things are possible (do I really believe this?), but why do I not more often see him doing that which he promises to do? And why do I not see his saints “running in such a way as to win the prize,” and fleeing from idolatry?”


Perhaps we are not asking God (persistently, passionately, faith-full-y) to change us. Perhaps we are spiritually weak and lazy because we don’t see there is a race going on, and we don’t see the finish line (Col 3:1-3). Perhaps we are sleepy and drunk on the extreme excesses of materialism, capitalism and narcissism.


And perhaps I imagine and assume that we become more Christ-like than is actually the case on earth. Maybe I am looking for perfection; maybe I am looking too much at the externals. The more I contemplate, the more I realize that the most radical, the most extreme transformation will take place…in the blink of any eye. Certainly it is God’s will that we become more and more Christ-like on earth, but I’m also sure that his secret plan includes such instant transformation of ourselves and others that we will be shocked. And when that happens, there will be absolutely no possibility that we will take any credit. We will be utterly amazed, and we will shout, sing and jump in excitement, in praise of our God, in whose presence we will stand.
God, may I live my life in view of that day. And knowing that you are already present in my heart—knowing too that you are the motor and engine and power behind my every good work—may I passionately and joyfully run toward that transformation by faith, even now.

1 comment:

Bartges said...

Thank you for your continued encouragement and vulnerability. We love reading your thoughts and pray the Lord continues to use you to shepherd and love His church.
Brett and Bartges