Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Diversity and Discipleship with the MPs

Sometimes I'm just impressed by the MPs with whom I serve.  One day last week I took my boys down to the Green Ramp--this is where they put on their parachutes, check and recheck, and board the planes to jump.  One Sergeant was there checking his young Soldiers, and had even brought a young Soldier to watch for fun, who was not yet jump qualified.  The next day I saw this same Sergeant at Guard Mount--this is what you see on TV when cops are briefed on what to look out for on the roads, hit-and-run vehicles, etc. 

A few days later I went out in the field with one of the Companies--about 100 Soldiers, spending 2 weeks in the field, working on Soldier skills--orienteering, weapons training, convoy operations, etc.  I didn't see that same Sergeant there, but I marveled at the diversity of skills needed to be an MP in a jump unit of the US Army.  A truly impressive group of young men and women who work alot of long days, and into the night, and sometimes all night on the road.

At Green Ramp I go to pray for Soldiers preparing to jump, at Guard Mount I do the same, but last week I did a ride-along with the Duty Officer to get a better feel what it is like.  And in the field, I "embrace the suck" as they say--trying to sleep under a poncho in very heavy winds and rain.  Thankfully that was my only night out there, and their only night of rain, but they see me 'suffering' with them, and are more likely to attend my Field Worship Service, or come to me for counseling. 

Today three of my MPs showed up at Chapel for worship, which was thrilling to see.  One I had connected with, and given a devotional to in the Field (a previous month).   He has strayed, acknowledges he is not living how God would desire, and says it is hard to stay connected with God in the Army.  But he has a car now, and brought two friends to worship!

God, may there be a wider and wider stream of Soldiers from my unit that come to All American Chapel.  May the gospel continue to be preached there faithfully.  May they be plugged in relationally through Sunday School, or Navigators, or adopted by retirees, and come to faith, and grow in the Faith.  Amen!

No comments: