Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Transforming Grace

An area church has as its first core value the Transforming Power of the Gospel. Here is part of the definition that really struck me this week: “That means our sinfulness does not count against us and it also means our religious efforts do not count for us.”

First, the Transforming Power of the Gospel means that in Christ, our sinfulness does not count against us. I believe too often we live like practicing Roman Catholics. Yes, we believe our past sins are covered, but when we sin today—“Oh oh, I need to do some penance to get this off my back.” Instead of fasting and whipping our backs it may be going to church and reading the Bible. But it is the same unbelief in the sufficiency of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that leads us to believe we need to somehow take care of our own sin.

Second, the Transforming Power of the Gospel means that our religious efforts do not count for us. This sentence makes us step back and scratch our heads. “Yes I believe this, but…my work doesn’t count for anything?” We confuse the effect of God’s love toward us with the cause of God’s love for us when we take pride in, and rest in, our good works.

And that leads us to this wonderfully biblical word, transforming. I love Romans 12:1, which calls us in part to “Be ye transformed.” It is both a clear command, and a passive action, indicating that we are objects being acted upon. (The Bible itself has no problem with the mystery of sovereignty and accountability—neither should I.)

To see the Gospel merely as a ticket to heaven is to severely truncate its beauty and power. To see it as a legal transaction and right standing with God is accurate, but also not sufficient. To also see it as the power of God to transform the lives of its recipients is a beautiful and important aspect in rounding out our view of salvation. It may be slow, it may smolder at times, it may need fanned into flame. But I am confident that God will carry his work to completion in making me a new powerfully preparing me for the next world to come.

No comments: