Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Staycation

Psalm 156:4 reads, “The sorrows of those will increase who run after other gods.” I am realizing more and more that this is one of the many paradigms that make up my life experience—that my life is a constant series of running after other gods. If it is a god made out of metal it will rust. If it is built on physical fitness, I will feel a new pain in my knee. If it is the respect of others, my stellar performance must be repeated and even improved upon.

Thankfully, by God’s grace, he allows and ordains such sorrow. By God’s grace, every time I run away, I experience disappointment and run back. One Puritan pastor confessed, “I am always running into distant lands (as the Prodigal son), and you are always running toward me to welcome me back.”

Father, may these poorly planned trips of mine become less and less frequent, and may they be of ever-shortened duration. May you catch me before I walk out the door, causing me to examine my motives and goals. In fact, that you would inspire my thoughts, desires and dreams at every moment in such I way that I would be continually chasing after you, the one who satisfies my desires with good things.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Just convicted of my idolatry this morning, too. Jeremiah 2:5-6, 11-13, 18-19 were especially piercing.

Hugs to your family!