Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

I love this one: “Dad, tell me when we get there.” If they really meant that, then what is the purpose of: “Are we there yet,” and, “How much farther?” These are constant refrains of kids on long trips...or is it really just the kids? I’ve realized my own restless spirit on trips, both at destinations along the way, and en route.

Not satisfied with what is going on at the time, I’m always looking forward to something—anything, whatever is next. If I am driving, I want to get there. If I get there, I want to unpack. If I unpack, I want to do something exciting. If I do something exciting, I get tired and I’m ready for bed. In the morning, I’m ready to pack up and move on to the next location, or the next mini-adventure.

I’ve realized this phenomenon is not just on trips but with all of life. And in light of our restless, selfish spirits, Scripture teaches us not only to be content, but to make the most of every opportunity. While the context of that passage may be directly with our Christian witness, I believe Christ is pleased when we carpe diem; when we seize the day.

God, help me to slow down and enjoy the trip. Help me to enjoy the drive and the scenery. Help me enjoy catching up with old friends, and building blocks with my kids. Help me to realize I’m not in nearly as big a hurry as my speedometer reveals. Help me to bring life and breath and salt into these relationships along the way.

No comments: