Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Growing up, when I came across a word in the Bible I didn’t understand I would skip it. Ok, I still do sometimes. Deut 32:15 says, “Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food he became heavy and sleek. He abandoned the God who made him.” Jeshurun means “upright one,” and refers to other days when God’s people were obedient.

I confessed in a sermon last weekend my desire to “grow fat” with money—to gain financial security through home equity. I also shared of how I was failing miserably in that goal (as most are) with the drop in the housing market. It sure would be nice to buy low and sell high, pay off my next house, and live the rest of my life without mortgage or rent.

But is that what is best for me? It could be. But I think God knows that if this happened to me I would become “heavy and sleek;” that I would kick against him, that I may abandon the God who made me. I trust I wouldn’t deny my faith, but I may have a complete lack of exercising my faith, because God would appear less central to my survival.

Lord, give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God. - Prov 30 8-9

No comments: