Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Fire and Brimstone

I read an article about this terrible plane crash a couple weeks ago, where the purpose of the article was to show how the passengers really didn’t have time to suffer and contemplate that they were going to die (about 20 seconds). Several thoughts came to mind as I read this.
First, if you look at your watch for 20 seconds, I would argue that this is a pretty long time. I would argue this would have been the most horrific 20 seconds of their lives as the plane turned upside-down in a nose dive. I shudder to imagine.

Second, the very point of the article is a telling commentary on our culture. We don’t like to think about death, we don’t like to contemplate suffering. So let’s just minimize this, let’s sterilize it by taking away the suffering, and at worst we can briefly think of annihilation, or eternal sleep, and get on with enjoying the peace and comfort of our lives.

A final horrifying thought came to mind: what if this last 20 seconds was much, much better for most of these passengers than the next 20 seconds, and for that matter, all eternity? In the last 20 seconds, there would have been at least hope. But in the next 20 seconds, and 5 minutes, and 2 weeks since, there would be no hope, only the agony of fire, and weeping, and gnashing of teeth.

Why in the world do I think and write about these gruesome thoughts? Because they are true. And because eternity is just around the corner for every one of us. And because one reason for the threat of the curse of hell is to cause the living to take it to heart and seek out heaven through repentance and faith in Jesus.

Father, forgive me when I live for this world and show by my words, thoughts and deeds my disbelief in our continued eternal existence. Praise God for complete forgiveness in Christ, that as with Lazar us he will carry me to your side; and may all who read this seek such forgiveness in him.

No comments: