Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009


This morning I overheard one of my kids speak to another with shocking indignation and self-righteousness.  It was something like the next-door neighbors on Christmas Vacation, if you can think back to last month.  As I talked to him about it, attempting to deal with his heart, I realized that I am no different.  I’m only better at masking it and putting it in such a way that doesn’t so clearly implicate myself.

In one of Jesus’ parables, a servant has been forgiven a huge sum of money, then he goes out and demands a small amount owed to him by another servant.  It is striking that these are fellow servants, who are arguing strongly over a piddly matter when something huge and wonderful has just taken place. 

The same is true in our relationship with God.  When we forget the Gospel, we become blind to the debt we owed and the forgiveness we have received; and looking around horizontally we turn and compare ourselves (favorably) to others. 

God, help me to wake up every day thinking of you. Help me to go throughout the day deeply aware of the debt I owed you that I could not pay.  And help me to lay down at night amazed at the eternal hope that is mine through the work of Christ.  

No comments: