Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Calvinism? Shhhhh

When I first became a Christian, I wanted to share Christ. Several years later when I was involved in a particular church ministry, I wanted to share the Five Points of Calvinism (Don’t know what this is? Ask me off-line). It seemed to answer so many questions of Scripture and of my own life. It made sense, it was helpful in many ways…and it filled me with pride.

“This group is not theologically correct,” “That book is ok, but it’s not that sharp because the author doesn’t hold to this system of belief.” Slowly I’ve recognized my pride, as well as the fact that the Five Points is not the only grid through which to interpret Scripture. And as a result the pendulum has swung again. I rarely explicitly teach the so-called Five Points. Only when someone brings it up will I respond, and even then I will often state the dangers of latching onto and espousing a system rather than a Savior.

But at times I believe I’m holding on for another ride. As I see how people relate to one another, respond to one another’s sin, express some form of judgment or receive criticism, I’m reminded of the immense foundational value of the first point: Total Depravity. David writes in Ps 40:12: “For troubles without number surround me…” What kind of troubles? His own sin. Wow. David continues: “…my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.” How often our sin obscures our sight and our judgment (usually not of others, but ironically of our own sinful condition). “They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me.”

When was the last time I was so aware of my own sin that I could say, “My heart fails within me!” If I was more aware of my sin, what affect would it have on the way I confront others? How I accept correction? How I respond to hardship? How I serve my wife? To what extent I look for good in others in order to praise them? How thankful I am for Christ? How urgently I see the need to share this with others?

God, troubles without number surround me. My trouble, in fact, is me. Help me to see it, and help me to see my Savior’s solution.

No comments: