Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Making an Impact in Missions. Really.

When I was in the business world (Human Resources) I managed the divisions’ charitable contributions. We wanted good community relations, and what I inherited (and didn't dare to change) was a long, long list of organizations that we supported on an annual basis. The problem was, the amount for each was $25, or $50, or $100 per year.

In my experience, too many churches do the same with their missions fund. They receive dozens of requests for support (many good causes), and instead of feeling guilty they squeeze another one into their already long list of supported people and groups. Just to mention one drawback, the missionary has so many churches to keep up with, they cannot possibly visit them all when on furlough. And the church has so many missionaries they support, they cannot possibly pray for and care for each one in any meaningful way.

As difficult as it is to do, I am thrilled to see that our church is different. We limit the number of people and organizations we support with a passion. But it is not because we don’t care, rather because where we do give support, we want it to be meaningful, significant and impactful. One such example (on our short list) is southern India. Because of personal connections with a church planter there, we have sent multiple individuals and teams to teach, build and heal over the last few years.

Now MTW is establishing a partnership with this same church-planting organization in South India, and I am joining a group of pastors and elders to see how we can best support this movement. Lord willing, we will make an even more significant impact, now in coordination with about 20 other churches who want to pray for and see God work in a significant way in India, where it is already evident that God’s Spirit is at work.

I leave Tuesday the 21st on this 10 day trip, and if I have access to a computer along the way, I will try to send updates. So check back!

No comments: