Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Why Confessions?

March 19, 2008

In chapter five of Augustine’s Confessions, he writes

Narrow is the mansion of my soul; enlarge Thou it, that Thou mayest enter in. It is ruinous; repair Thou it. It has that within which must offend Thine eyes; I confess and know it. But who shall cleanse it? Or to whom should I cry, save Thee?

I would never compare myself with St. Augustine, but there are three things I love about the way Augustine writes. First, he knows that he is broken. He is deeply aware of how infinitesimally small and sinful he is in comparison with the overwhelmingly great and holy God. One of the primary reasons I write is for my children to have a window into my soul as they grow up and sometimes wonder what their dad was really like. And more than anything I want them to know that I am the "chief of all sinners," saved by a great and gracious God.

Second, I love Augustine’s interactive, meditative style. He writes (and prays) as if God is right there in front of him answering back and dialoguing with him. Perhaps this is more the way we should approach God, instead of our often hurried, unidirectional, wish-list prayers. In fact, is it not truly the case that God is right there with us answering, but we do not hear because of the noise in our environment, and in our pace.

Third, I love the simplicity of Augustine’s philosophical musings. Yes, he proved that he can be a careful and meticulous theologian, so respected that many different camps would claim him as their own. But he also has a knack to write deep thoughts about life in very simple terms. And it is such simple reflections on life that often come to my mind and that I wish at times to write down for my children, and anyone else who wishes, to enjoy.

No comments: