Follow by e-mail

Enter your e-mail address below to have my blog posts sent to your in box. I will post about once a week, and you can unsubscribe any time.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cold Feet

I crawled into bed last night after a long day, and I was so looking forward to taking a deep breath and just cuddling with my wife. She jokes that she only has about a foot of bed to work with. Ok, it’s not so much a joke. I also have poor circulation, so she regularly warms my toes with her own.

I’ve reflected in recent months that this desire has not always been the case. There have been nights and even extended periods of time where I would be glad to stay on my side of the bed, even with cold toes. Why is this? One reason is summarized in Mt 24:12: “Because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.” We think of the Old West when we hear this old-fashioned word ‘lawlessness,’ but really it just means anything that is contrary to God and godliness. This could be a hidden sin, or a grudge, or selfishness, or anything contrary to pure, Christ-like love and service toward the other.

As I look back on my short marriage, it was those times I was farthest away from God (sometimes living in blatant lawlessness) that my love grew cold. But thank God that he will not leave us there if we are truly his! He ultimately brings a softening and warmth back to our hearts as he leads us in repentance, humility and pursuit of godliness.

How many are currently living with an emotional wall between them and their spouse, with (at least) one out in the cold, adding bricks daily to the wall? God, when this is the case with me, let me know it quickly! Make me sensitive to the dropping temperature and the rising barrier between us. And bring me quickly out of the cold and into the warmth of humility and repentance, a loving relationship—and warm toes.

No comments: